The Club History Motherwell have a long and dramatic history in the game. Since their formation in 1886, the Steelmen have experienced everything from the highs of promotion and cup success to the lows of relegation and administration. Fir Park Fir Park has been Motherwell’s home for over 100 years. The club moved to the ground in 1895, having previously played at Dalziel Park. Celtic provided the opposition for the first match and they eased to an 8-1 win in front of over 6,000 spectators. The club spent a significant amount of money upgrading Fir Park in the 1930s and the capacity was increased to 35,000. Further developments followed in the 1950s with the installation of floodlights. Preston North End provided the opposition for the first night match and they edged a close game 3-2. The Main Stand was then constructed in 1960, providing seating for 3,500 people. The original plans were for 5,000 seats but the local residents objected about the lack of light and so the stand was never fully completed. It was renamed the Phil O’Donnell Stand in 2008. But the most notable developments came in the 1990s following the publication of the Taylor report into ground safety. The old ‘Shed’ terracing had seats installed and it became known as the East Stand and latterly, the John Hunter Stand. The South and Davie Cooper Stands were then constructed at either end of the ground, increasing the seated capacity to 13,750.